Thursday, June 28, 2012

baby monitor

We never bought a baby monitor for Katie. It just wasn't worth it to me when she was basically in our room and although her bedroom was at one side of the house/apartment, we could hear her very well on the other side since there was only a hallway separating us ... her room was at the end of the hallway and the hallway began in the kitchen and had an opening into the living room. It was a very open floor plan.

Anyway, now with K and L in the same room, I've been pretty nervous about how much K likes to "take care" of L and have been extremely worried about how "helpful" she may be. Also, I've been trying really hard with L to make sure I get him up and feed him way before he cries so he doesn't learn that awful behavior. I accidentally taught K to cry before eating and goodness, she still cries before eating. Okay, she doesn't really cry usually. She just gets grumpy ... just like me!

So we ordered a monitor off of Amazon and it arrived a couple of days later, yesterday. Last night was the first night we put L in his crib in the room with K and it went pretty well. It wasn't a miracle worker by any means, but I slept a million times better when I actually was asleep. I wasn't constantly being partially awakened by grunting and snorting ... other than from Mike. So it was a good night.

Right now, I'm just biding my time in the kitchen with the monitor as I await to see if K can fall asleep in the room with L in his crib. L has been out for about 30 minutes now but K is struggling. But I don't think it has anything to do with L being in the room as much as she just hates taking naps some days.

Plus this is great because now I can finally go outside during nap time or even just with K and still hear what is going on inside. The last time we had family here, we watched a movie upstairs and every 10-15 minutes, I had to run down the stairs to see if L was awake yet. The best part about that story is that I did that for about an hour and a half and was so exhausted that I ended up falling asleep on my bed. L didn't end up waking for probably an hour later, or so.

So far, I'm loving having a monitor. In fact, all night when I was awake and this morning I've been wondering why I didn't get one sooner. Not only can I hear baby L when he's awake, but I also get all the latest and greatest hits from Katie while she's refusing to go to sleep.

Ah. I love her singing.

No comments:

Post a Comment