Friday, May 4, 2012

Baby L: 1 week

It's hard to believe we had our baby boy one week and two days ago! In a way, having two kids almost seems natural ... or maybe it''s my lack of consecutive sleep that is stopping my brain from functioning properly.

I just received a notice from my Google calendar that Landon is due today. However, I'm so glad he's here with us instead of still waiting for him to be born!

We found out yesterday that he has breast milk jaundice which is a real bummer. Basically that means that he'll likely have jaundice for a few more weeks. Luckily though, he doesn't have to go back on the bilibed. He's been off of it since Wednesday afternoon and it's nice to be able to hold him instead of forcing him to lay on a blue-lit bed most of the day.

K has finally come to terms with the fact that the baby is permanent in our family. In fact when she thought she was being separated from him at the grocery store parking lot since she was going into the car first, she flipped out. I'm glad she's enjoying the baby more now.

Baby L seems to already show a boy trait - his love for eating. It only takes him about 20-30 minutes to nurse but at least once a day, he tries to get in multiple feedings in a row ... he seems to think I offer an all-you-can-eat buffet, especially from about 12:30-3:30 am. And if he poops at all, he demands more food immediately after. I felt like I spent most of Thursday feeding him while K ran rampant around the house.

With Mike going back to work on Wednesday, I have come to really respect mothers with at least two kids who haven't gone crazy. Having two kids who depend on you all day to take care of them has really thrown off my mother groove. The day is a lot more busy and for now, is a lot more scheduled. And K has lucked out with me being a bit more lenient about some things because I simply can't chase her down every time she's getting into something she's not supposed to and quite honestly, I don't have the energy to enforce some rules. So the past two days, I've had to pick and choose which are most important: K playing in the toilet = bad (and so gross) which results in time outs since it's not her first offense. K getting into the baby's swing even though she's not supposed to = not so important so she's had a few good rides in it. I'm sure one day I'll be back to my old self but for now, I think K is really soaking in my lack of punishing her.

For more details on baby L's birth, please visit our personal blog (kimbymaes.blogspot.com) and please notify us if you need an invite.

No comments:

Post a Comment