Thursday, January 20, 2011

Brittany, a friend, reminded me yesterday that we've been working on getting K to sleep without a pacifier.  I've been so focused on cloth diapers, trying to get K over her sickness, volunteer applications, and work that I completely forgot about it for a few days.

Things are going great without her pacifier!  I still go back and forth though.  I feel bad I've taken it from her because it was her comfort for bedtime.  But my choice was either now and her not knowing why it's taken away from her or later and her knowing very well what's going on and possibly throwing a fit.  It's a tough call.  Plus I figured if it failed right now, I could always try again later.

But the fact is that she really doesn't need it right now.  She has been going to sleep just fine without it.  We had a few rough days in there because she wasn't feeling well at all so she was crying randomly throughout the day and before naps but she's feeling much better now.  She still has a slight cough every now and then but is doing better.

I love not having to clean the pacifiers every day, not having to wake up in the middle of the night to go put it back in her mouth, not having to remember to take one with us wherever we go, and I love that her pacifier doesn't fall out of her mouth and land on the floor so I have to either find another one or go wash it.  I know that  these things don't take much work but I sure don't miss them!  Plus I really love being able to sleep through the entire night and not wake up to complaining because the pacifier fell out of her mouth!

So for anyone out there who is wondering if taking a pacifier away around 6 months is a good idea, I would vote yes!

And I have a confession.  I caved!  I tried giving her pacifier back to her while she was sick.  She would suck on it a couple of times and then spit it out.  I really wanted her to take it back and tried multiple times, but she refused.  That made me pretty happy because I knew she didn't want it but pretty sad because she continued to cry afterwards.

Wow.  I feel so much better to get that off my chest. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment