Friday, September 3, 2010

Postpartum

I've been thinking about pregnancy a lot lately because I know so many people who are having babies in these upcoming months! I'm really excited for them but boy am I glad I don't have to go through all of that again for a while!

Pregnancy was much easier than actually having the baby and having her here with us but I don't miss the restroom stops every 30 minutes, the heartburn, my legs constantly falling asleep, the lack of sleep from just not being able to sleep, the worry of doing a lot of things for fear of hurting the baby, the uncomfortableness, the vision changes, the tiredness, the crazy dreams, the swollen feet and hands, the fact that I was always warm and hungry, the strong cravings for certain foods, looking at and comparing baby items, oh and the list goes on and on.

The first few weeks after having the baby was rough too though. It's only been a few weeks since feeling like I actually am okay so it's still a pretty sensitive subject and I'm sure I'll talk about it more someday. But I am so glad I don't have to go through that again for a while either. I definitely don't miss the pain from delivery, getting up every 2-3 hours during the night, the extreme tiredness, her crying and I having no idea what's wrong, the worry about people making her sick, all the unwanted advice, the demands, and all the people wanting to come visit yet few people who actually helped us. It was always nice when people just showed up with food. We enjoyed the visits but we don't think we'll ever allow that many people to come over in the beginning ever again.

But all the misery is so worth it. I feel so bad for all those people out there who have been tricked into believing that children are too expensive, too time consuming, that people should work instead of have kids, that sterilization is best ... all of it. I feel so bad for those who have been made to believe they don't want kids. K has been smiling and trying to talk so much that I just feel bad for those who don't get to experience this wonderful miracle, especially women. A woman has such a motherly, kind, sensitive personality to begin with, I always hate to see it changed by the world.

Being a mother is such a blessing and something I wouldn't trade for anything. Oh how I love my little family!

1 comment:

  1. looks like I have a lot to look forward to ;)

    Glad to hear that she's sleeping so well, what a blessing!

    ReplyDelete